Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Life keeps on going...

It is all I can do right now to hold myself together. Today I tried cleaning up our house and I keep falling apart. I opened a drawer to put the silverware away and her little baby spoon was there. It was the one that she had her first solids with. Just the sight of it made my heart drop. I could remember the confused look on her face the first time I gave her applesauce. She just sucked on it and eventually spit it out no matter how many times I tried. But just seeing her spoon reminded me of the giggles I would have watching her try something she didn't like. Bananas were her favorite. She would eat bananas any day. I miss the sounds of her eating and breathing. I hope I never forget her sweet little sounds.
I have been talking to her pictures as if she was there listening. I rock back and forth when ever I sit down. I keep thinking I need to buy diapers. I wake up in the morning and the first think on my mind is change her diaper and feed her. It feels weird sitting in the passenger's seat of the car and not in back watching her. I order decaf out of habit. I keep thinking it is about time she had a bath. I miss her so much. She was supposed to have a doctor's appointment today... it feels kind of eerie knowing that life goes on.
Many people have asked how she passed and I don't mind sharing it. It is up to you if you want to read on. I understand if you don't- It is only now that I am able to relive this in detail and write it out. On Saturday we were watching a movie and I was cuddling with her on the couch and her oxygen saturation kept dropping.
No matter how much we gave her it wasn't making a difference. Her breathing started to slow down and she became very congested. I can't even begin to tell you how much agony your heart feels when you are holding your precious child while they slip away. She would take a breath about every 30 seconds and I would just sob and bury my face in her neck praying for her to pass quickly. My heart was pounding as I watched her rosy little cheeks pale. I knew this was coming but once I got there I was in so much pain I couldn't think. There were times when she would get a bit better and we would tell her it was ok to go home. We told her well done good and faithful one Jesus is waiting for you. Lynn was sobbing as he was speaking the 23rd Psalm over her. Our family surrounded us and stayed up with us until about 3ish. We know she wasn't in any pain, but it was only by God's grace that we were able to make it through that valley. Lynn and I took turns holding her till about 3 in the morning when we finally fell asleep with her in Lynn's arms and she was holding on to my little finger. Our hospice nurse was here during the whole time and was watching her and helping us keep her comfortable during her passing.
It was about 3:40 when our nurse, Tonnie, woke me up and told me her heart had stopped beating. I was disoriented at first but then I saw her and pulled her close in my arms held her to my chest and rocked her. I don't know if I can finish this now. I 'll post when I can.

3 comments:

drymartini66 said...

Any journey in life, no matter how difficult, will always begin with the first step. You've taken those first steps, albeit very painful ones. Life keeps going on...

Matt Martinez

Anonymous said...

If you need any help getting through this pain at all, just call. I can drop everything and come up there to comfort. Every day you will get stronger and the memories will be sweeter. With all of the love, we will help you both of you through this most difficult time.

Anna said...

Lynn and Beth -

I am so sorry to hear about Aimee. I can't imagine how you can begin to cope after such loss, but trust that God's faithfulness and love will guide you through it. I take great comfort in knowing that God's presence is with you right now and that his peace is keeping you during this awful time. You both and your extended families are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anna Corpron